225g black treacle
225g golden syrup
110g brown sugar
675g baking margarine
450g self raising flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Melt together the treacle, golden syrup, sugar and margarine then cool a little.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a separate bowl
- Mix flour, baking powder and ginger in another bowl
- Add the melted ingredients into the flour mix
- Slowly add the egg mix, adding slowly will stop the eggs cooking if the mix is too warm. This is quite a sloppy mix, don’t worry
- Add mix into two 8 inch square tins
- Bake at 325C, roughly gas mark 6 for approx 30 mins
This is a great sponge to eat on its own mid afternoon or with custard for a delicious dessert.
A great dish to make with the children during the holidays, they can help and get messy at every stage!